On Sept. 23, 2018 participants of all ages will line up at the starting line of the sixth annual DWS in Whitewater, Wisc. The DWS team is thrilled to see all our participants in September.
“We try to give the best experience to our runners and we wouldn’t be able to do that without our generous sponsors and wonderful volunteers,” DWS Executive Director Jeffery Knight said.
Below is a list and description of everything to expect in Sept. on race day weekend.
- Pre-race dinner: We have a complimentary pre-race dinner for participants on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 4:30 pm – 7 pm The dinner is provided by A’viands and is located in the Hamilton Room of the University Center on the UW-Whitewater campus. On-site registration is available during the pre-race dinner too!
- Race day activities: The activities start bright and early at 6:30 am with the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast. Every participant of the DWS gets breakfast for free. On-site registration is available on race day as well. For a full schedule of the day visit http://runwhitewater.com
- Wheelchair Division start is 7:55 am
- Half marathon/half marathon relay start is 8 am
- 5K start is 8:15 am
- Pacer added: Special this year we added a pacer component to the half marathon! We’ll have eight pacers running on the course in bright orange shirts, so they’ll be easy to find. Participants can follow the pacer to keep a steady time for the 13.1 miles.
- FREE childcare: Did you know the DWS offers free childcare to our participants? Our Kids Korral, is a combined effort of the UW-W’s College of Education & Professional Studies and Creative and Resourceful Educators to provide activities for children in a safe environment. The Kids Korral is for children six month to 10 years and they must be registered, this can be done at http://runwhitewater.com.
- W3 Fit Kid Shuffle: Every year the DWS is in conjunction with the W3 Fit Kid Shuffle. It is a one-mile race for children 10 years and younger. The race begins at 9:15 am
- Awards Ceremony: This year we split up the awards for the half marathon, half marathon relay and 5K. First, second and third (men and women) place finishers will receive a cash prize, $50 gift certificate to The Black Sheep in Whitewater and a drinking glass. All finishers of the half marathon, half marathon relay and 5k will receive a medal.
- 5K awards start at 9:45 am
- Half marathon and half marathon relay awards start at 10 am
- Post-race party: This year’s post-race celebration will take place at 841 Brewhouse, located at 841 E Milwaukee St in Whitewater. Participants will come together with one free glass of either beer, wine or soda. The party is from 10:30 am to 1 pm
- Whitewater Aquatic and Fitness Center is open from 9 am to 6 pm and participants can enjoy a free day pass.
“The activities we offer to our participants is exceptional compared to other road races,” DWS Race Director Dawson Miller said. “Activities like the Fit Kid Shuffle and the Kids Korral allow parents to run the course together knowing their children are having fun too.”
Monthly newsletters are emailed to participants and volunteers of the race. Message the DWS team on Facebook or email us at email@example.com to receive the newsletter and stay up to date on all things involving the race.
For more information about the DWS contact Jeffery Knight by email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, 920.728.0662.
About the DWS
The goal of the DWS is to promote the City of Whitewater and highlight its greatest features. All the proceeds from the race are donated to five local non-profit partners: Bethel House (which provides interim housing for homeless families), Working for Whitewater’s Wellness (W3), Whitewater Unified School District, Whitewater LEADS and the J-Hawk Aquatic Club. The DWS partners with the city, business community, university and the school district to make this a tremendous event that benefits all who participate. For more information about the race visit runwhitewater.com. For general race inquires email email@example.com.