Happy first week of school and #FlashbackFriday from the Whitewater Historical Society!
This week’s photo shows one of the city’s early high school buildings, affectionately dubbed “Big Brick.” The school first opened in the early 1880s, with the first graduation held in 1887. There was only one graduate, Nellie Wright. By the 1920s, however, the population had boomed and school officials elected to construct a new, larger high school building (known as City High), which was completed in 1927. It turned out to be good timing, as Big Brick burned down that same year.
Join us next week for more from the Whitewater Historical Society collections! Go Whippets! Go Warhawks!
(5487PC, Whitewater Historical Society)
The Whitewater Historical Society collects, preserves, and interprets the history of Whitewater and the surrounding area. Be sure to join us next week for more from the Society’s collections. Please “like” us on Facebook, and check out our website at whitewaterhistoricalsociety.org!