Fannie Hicklin, the fierce and beloved theater professor who became the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater’s first African American faculty member and who left a creative legacy that both transformed and transcended campus, has died at the age of 101. She passed away Friday at her home in Madison, Wisconsin, according to…Read Entire Obituary
Kay L. Gustafson, 71, of Whitewater passed away unexpectedly on Sunday, October 20, 2019.Kay was born on July 21, 1948 in Milwaukee WI, the daughter of Forest and Esther (Jacobson) Eagleburger. She worked as a mail clerk for Northwestern Mutual Company for the majority of her working career. Kay was…Read Entire Obituary
Mary Shea Peters passed away peacefully on October 16, 2019 at Waukesha Memorial Hospital. During her final days, she was surrounded by many family members who helped to care and comfort her as she made the transition to being with her Lord and Savior, as well as other loved ones,…Read Entire Obituary
Sharon Lee Splinter, daughter of Harold and Lora (Rowe) Grant was born July 17, 1939 in Sullivan, Wisconsin. She graduated from Whitewater High and worked as an accountant in Indiana until her retirement. She was united in holy matrimony to Richard Splinter in May 1986, and together they combined households…Read Entire Obituary
Bryan Nelson, age 84, of Janesville, passed away peacefully on Sunday, September 1, 2019 at Agrace Hospice in Fitchburg, WI. Born in La Grange Park, IL to the late Marvin and Naomi (Paulson) Nelson. Having lived around the southern Chicago area before moving to Crown Point, IN, the family settled…Read Entire Obituary
Judson Michael “Jud” Lowry, age 66, of Appleton passed away after a brief illness on Monday, August 12, 2019, at University Hospital-Madison, with his family at his side. Jud was born on May 25, 1953, the son of the late Robert and Marjorie (Cox) Lowry in Janesville. He was raised…Read Entire Obituary
Lynton M. Piatt, age 90, long-time resident of Whitewater, WI, peacefully passed away at St. Therese Care Center, New Hope, MN on August 19, 2019. He was surrounded by those he loved and who loved him. He lived a long life, and more importantly the life he wanted. He loved…Read Entire Obituary
Dale Edgar Bornick, age 80, passed away peacefully on Saturday, August 17, 2019. Dale is survived by his children; Janet (Mike) Bennett; Glen Bornick; Scott Bornick; stepson Wayne (Andrea) Graham and family; grandsons Jacob and Brady Bennett; brother Gary (Mary) Bornick and family; Sister-in-law Sherry Bornick and family. Dale is…Read Entire Obituary
Jean L. Steinhoff, 88, of Palmyra, Wisconsin, passed away on Sunday, August 18, 2019, at UW Hospital
Jean L. Steinhoff, 88, of Palmyra, Wisconsin, passed away on Sunday, August 18, 2019, at UW Hospital. Jean was born May 1, 1931, in Pleasant Valley, the daughter of Albert and Edna (Lundt) Emery. She grew up in rural Jefferson County and was a 1949 graduate of Palmyra High School….Read Entire Obituary
James A. Coburn, age 73 of Whitewater, passed away from natural causes on February 7, 2018, at Ft. Atkinson Hospital surrounded by loving family. Jim was born December 29, 1944, in Elkhorn, Wisconsin to Deane and Thusnelda (Kraeft) Coburn. Growing up in Whitewater as the youngest of three children, he was indulged and tolerated by his adoring parents and big sisters as he played basketball,…Read Entire Obituary
The Banner only accepts obituaries from direct family of the deceased or a licensed funeral home. There is no charge for obituaries on the Banner.
If you would like to submit an obituary, please email the Editor at email@example.com
Submit a Post for the Banner
The Banner relies on community members - you - to submit news, events, photos, and other items of interest to post. If you have something to share with our community, please tell us. And for the most exposure possible, remember Whitewater's sizable Spanish-speaking population and submit a bilingual post!
- Photos - Please include one photo (preferably .jpg or .gif). Exceptions include graduation announcements (which are published in a long list a couple times a year) and recurring submissions (meeting announcements, etc.). Please send all images with a meaningful filename.
- Flyers or Attachments - If your submission has a .pdf flyer or requires a sign-up sheet, please send a LINK to the document, not the actual document. If you do not have a website to host the file, please send us a Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive link.
- News events (including sports, public events of local interest, etc.) - Please include as much detailed information as possible, including names of participants, date, place, etc. Due to copyright laws, The Banner does not post stories from other news outlets, however we will often include links to other news outlets in our posts.
- Life events (births, quinceaneras, graduations, engagements, weddings, deaths, etc) - The Banner posts life events, including obituaries, free of charge. Remember, the more details, the better.
- Upcoming public events (meetings, concerts, plays, fund-raisers, etc.) - We encourage all organizers of public events to submit a listing for the Community Calendar. If you would also like a post for your event, please submit it separately below, and don't forget detailed contact info like website URL, e-mail address, or phone number.
- Private and for-profit events - Please contact us for advertising information for your private event.
- Timing - The Banner is maintained by volunteers who make every effort to publish posts as quickly as possible. If something is time critical, please plan ahead.
- Editorial Discretion - The Banner editorial committee reserves the right to reject submissions for any reason, including but not limited to content, misspellings, inaccuracies, "non-localness" etc. Please edit your submission thoroughly before submitting.
- Questions - If you have any questions, please contact us.
To Submit, please email us or complete the form below:
The Mission of the Whitewater Banner
Early City Motto "The Banner Inland City of the Midwest"
The Banner has been serving Whitewater, Wisconsin since August 1, 2006