#FlashbackFriday with the Historical Society: The Baker Building


It’s time once again for #FlashbackFriday with the Whitewater Historical Society. A few weeks ago, this building, on the Milwaukee Street bridge, was demolished. We found a photo, probably from the 1970s, of this building when it was Baker’s Garage, an AMC, Jeep, and GMC truck dealership and service station run by Harley Baker. The building was constructed in 1924 as a modern filling station for the O’Neil Oil and Paint company and became a D-X service station in the 1940s. Harley Baker acquired the building in 1948 after operating a garage at his home on North Street for a number of years. After the dealership and garage closed, Baker’s daughter, Donna Baker Henry, remodeled the building for offices.

Join us next week for more from the Whitewater Historical Society.

(5433P, Whitewater Historical Society)

Share This
Posted in

Other Recent Posts

Whippet Runners Compete at Cam Rock Invite

Our Readers Share: Pandion Haliaetus

Greater Whitewater Committee Set to Host UWW Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Christine Barwick joins First Citizens State Bank

New Artist’s Work on Display at FCCU

#FlashbackFriday with the Historical Society: Laboring on Whitewater Street Around 1900

Our Readers Share: Deer at Hillside Cemetery

Nature Lovers Enjoy Swift Night Out

Statement from the City of Whitewater Regarding Wednesday’s Emergency Response at UW-Whitewater

NOTICE: Water System Maintenance – South Side Water Tower

Rock River Community Clinic Becomes Federally Funded FQHC

NOTICE: City to Repave Several Streets

Albert’s Dog Lounge Awarded Grant from Green Bay Packers Foundation

Calling all Food Trucks!

Whitewater Community Foundation Announces New Director